Friday, March 4, 2011

PU! What's that smell?


Evening storytime last night was lots of fun!  Started with the welcome song, then introduced the theme - what do you get when you mix melted snow + dirt?  That's right, MUD!  So we talked about dirty, stinky, and smelly stuff.  You might call it the anti-spring cleaning.  I had a fantastic group of kids and parents who were so engaged, you gotta love it!

Dirt Boy by Erik Jon Slangerup


Rhyming Dust Bunnies by Jan Thomas

Big Smelly Bear by Britta Teckentrup


Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemsha, and of course, I had to end with:


I Stink! by Kate & Jim McMullan

We also sang Barney's clean-up song (I didn't call it that - do kids watch Barney anymore?), did wishy-washy-wee from Kindermusik fame, and a rhyme about 5 green garbage trucks (had the kids come up and help with that).  I considered Oscar the Grouch's "I Like Trash," but opted for more fingerplays and less recordings. 

This was my last evening storytime before I start my job in July as a K-12 teacher librarian.  My elementary practicum cooperating librarian is also a K12TL, and she does storytimes with fingerplays in her preschools and kindergarten.  So I will still get to have fun with these little ones!  And not to brag (okay, maybe a little), they actually applauded.  What the heck!  But the greatest was when I got hugs from like six different kids.  That absolutely rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment