Sunday, October 21, 2012

Book party

I went to visit my mom on Saturday, and we went to the annual Lions Club book sale at the mall.  It was completely unorganized!  Still, I found several good books:



A Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna Quindlen - I already own this, but I'll keep it for my daughter's college graduation in the spring.


Barron's 501 Russian Verbs  - I was going to give this to my daughter who took 2 years of Russian at college, but her brother, who was with me, said he wanted it.  He's learning Chinese and wants to learn Russian, too.


Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix - Haddix is very popular at the elementary school (her Beyond the . . . series particularly) and we don't have this one, so hopefully it will get read.


Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell - the cover is pretty dirty, but it will be easy enough to clean.  I don't know if I own this or not; if I do, I'll donate it to the high school library.


Questions Children Ask, from 1968.  Check out an interior page next . . .]


Loved the part about the moon - one year before man first walked on it.


The Girl on the Floor Will Help You, by Lavina Russ - 1969.  "This is a wise, witty, and wonderful book about people who are concerned about books - children's books, chiefly."  Sounds like it's meant for my vintage books about libraries collection.




Oh, also this for $1, Frank Sinatra Beginnings.  My favorite Pandora station is Michael Buble, so I do listen to quite a bit of Frank!

Then we went to the public library's bookstore.  It's a lot easier to find books here, but where's the challenge in that?


For Everything a Season by Philip Gulley - I enjoy his Harmony series about a Quaker minister and his life in a small town, so I figure I'll like this.




The Well-Educated Mind:  A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had by Susan Wise Bauer.  I'll read this as soon as I'm done with my Greek and Roman Mythology class - I probably will be able to check off several items from this book with that course!



Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead.  These are very popular at the high school, so it won't hurt to have an extra copy.




Wildlife Preserves:  A Far Side Collection by Gary Larsen.  I remember cutting out the cover cartoon from the Sunday paper when it first was published and bringing it to my typing teacher.  I thought it was very funny - preserves, preserves, get it?  She sighed philosophically and said, "Yes, that is just so true."  I guess I was the one who didn't get it!


Another Gary Larsen - Cows of our Planet.  I'll put this and the previous collection at the high school library.



The Children's Book of America by William J. Bennett


The Children's Book of Heroes by William J. Bennett. 


Exploring Energy - a National Geographic book.  This is for the elementary library.

Calvin and Hobbes' There's Treasure Everywhere - this will go to the elementary library, too.


Oh I see I forgot two books (New Junior Cook Book and Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad About My Neck).  But not a bad haul for $18!  (And the weekend isn't even over yet . . . )

1 comment:

  1. Love the Anna Quindlen - a great grad gift. And the Nora Ephron is on my "to read list". You did very well!

    ReplyDelete