Monday, December 27, 2010

Nonfiction Monday


I haven't blogged in awhile.  Sorry!  I'm going to busy this week and next and the next doing storytimes so I'll do some updates.  But for now, here's a spotlight on a fun nonfiction book that I found in the stacks yesterday, A-B-C 1-2-3 Craft Book:  Make a Cloth Book of Exciting Learning Toys by Phyllis Fiarotta.  We're doing a crafts program this week - sort of a you want the kids out of your hair for a bit program - so we changed a Christmas display to crafts.  When changing this book's status, I saw that the poor thing had only been checked out once!  It is a neat little number that shows how to make a very interactive quiet book for babies or toddlers.  I always wanted to make one for my kids and never did, but maybe if I start now, I'll have one for my grandchildren someday!  (Not that there are any imminent, but crafts take me a looooong time.)  I showed the book to a co-worker and she loved the book too, so she checked it out, and I'm going to get it after her.

I do think this is a great example of the limits of cataloging - it's cataloged as "soft toy making," "toy and movable books," and "educational toys."  If you search for "quiet book," or "busy book," you won't find it - even if that's what most moms would call it!


No comments:

Post a Comment