Saturday, June 9, 2012

Cloaked in Red

I literally just finished the short story collection,  Cloaked in Red, by Vivian Vande Velde.  (Is that really her name?)


I had picked it up at the Scholastic Book Fair, but set it aside because I wasn't sure if it should be at the elementary or junior/senior high.  Definitely the latter!  I think older elementary would appreciate it, but there's just some lines in the author's note ("There are different versions, but they all start with a mother who sends her daughter into the woods, where there is not only a wolf, but a talking, cross-dressing wolf.") that although not inappropriate, are just not really intended for third graders.  I think the junior high girls would really like it though.  The stories are funny, and actually, with the author's note about what makes a good story (memorable characters, vivid setting, exciting plot, and important themes) and how these are lacking in the original tale of Little Red Riding Hood, I think this would be an excellent book for a high school writing class.  I'm going to suggest it to the high school English teachers.

So with that, I'm up to 9.5 hours in the #48hbc

No comments:

Post a Comment